Monday, September 24, 2012

This is an entirely new way of looking for me. Ever since I was a kid, I have coped with anxiety through organisation but have never wanted to document it because it's my private way of dealing. I wanted to explore how [my sexual/gender identity and] I relate to my family through the cataloguing of things I associate with them. First, the two sides of my family take two extremes on the stance of discipline. For one side, it is to be beaten in--a tradition unchanged--and for the other, it is to be taught through strict moral guidance--no teacher like Catholic Guilt. For the second, titled "Rachel," I put together all of the objects that created my adolescent identity: "Rachel." That girl doesn't exist, and I constructed this persona for the sake of my family, but I have nothing natural in common with her. The third is an invitation to my stepfather's memorial service. I had to miss it because I was at school and had no chance to ever introduce him to "Shanaz." I regret not telling him all the time.

Quite frankly, I don't know how photographically comfortable I am doing this, but I thought there was no better time to take a chance on something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment