Monday, September 17, 2012

Dominion

Jonas Bendikson is a Norwegian photojournalist for Magnum. His image on the right is of a boy in China walking through the snow on a dark, gray winter day. He appears lost or out of place, like he doesn't belong in his environment or even in the frame of the photo. The boy is the focus of the viewer's attention. I notice the tonal contrast between the neutral gray landscape and the dark solitary figure of the boy in the center of the image. The silhouette of the boy is therefore quite distinct, contributing to the sense of detachment of his figure to his own environment.

I appropriated Bendikson's photo here, not borrowing the content so much as the color scheme, composition, and his use of contrast and space to create a division, or a sense of separatness within a single image.

I don't own a bible and haven't been raised learning from it (or any religious text, customs, practices, etc.). I'm going to buy one and read some of it for this project, and because I've been telling myself I would for a long time. Until I do, I just googled passages about the idea of "dominion" which led me to this passage Romans 6:14. "For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace."

I think the passage can serve almost as a caption for my photo on the left as well as an arrow to another possible direction in which I can explore the idea of dominion.

No comments:

Post a Comment