Monday, September 17, 2012

Appropriation

Me vs. Lynsey Addario

When I chose this image I was immediately attracted to it's simplicity. As I studied it I began to pick out the key elements I needed to use in my appropriation. At first I picked out the area of bright light in the background, and a person sitting on a bed in the foreground. Next I tried to look closer at the person in Addario's photograph. She's alone on her bed fixing her hair wearing what I assumed are pajamas. With my model I tried having him run his hands through his hair but in all of those photographs he looked too comfortable. My concept is discomfort or the feeling of not belonging so I decided to try something different. The shoot was slightly uncomfortable and I don't think my model felt totally confident wearing so little clothes. This was the pose he kept returning to while I was adjusting my camera. I really like how he unconsciously covered himself with his left arm, and I think this does a lot for my discomfort concept. 

No comments:

Post a Comment