Monday, September 17, 2012

Appropriation

Gabriel Orozco - (top image) We looked at him last week in class, and his work on merging "reality" and "art" together are very conceptually and aesthetically pleasing. For my concept I am trying to play with the idea of having that childlike experience and playing with my surroundings and see what I can create. It is mostly about that feeling I had when I was a kid playing in the sandbox. I would run around with my brothers and go on epic imaginary adventures. We would play in mud, build forts and dig through peoples trash.  It made me realize how much I miss being a kid. I really want to express the importance of "making a mark on the world" not just photographing what I see, but actually connecting with the moment. Lately, I noticed I have been doing that with my work by taking things lying around and being curious as to what I can make with what is given. So, I walked around through alleyways and whenever I found something interesting, abandoned, or not being used I would take it and find something else interesting near it and just make something or do something to put my mark/my signature on whatever it was. I would also leave it there and whoever was passing down the alley that day got a good look at what I was doing. With this photograph (bottom)I was walking and noticed how the dirt had all of these shoe prints from where people were walking and so i took a near by stick and made a line overtop. Gabriel expresses this through his photograph (top) by taking a bike and running it through a puddle to create a circle.




No comments:

Post a Comment