Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Appropriation-

1.the act of setting apart or taking for one's own use



As artists it's our job to be viewing and critiquing as much art as possible on a daily basis. Appropriation is natural and experimental for all artists. It's how we learn, our ideas form from taking little bits of everything we see around us and applying them. I'm not just talking about visual art, that means, media, history, music, etc. After experimenting we learn what styles we're attracted to and which ones we're not. When I'm stumped on a project my natural response is to just look through random photographers online or in the library. I may not like a photograph as a whole, or like an entire series, but there are little things I write down that inspire me. When I say inspire I mean I just take a little part of their idea and mix it with my own. Which is what artists do everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment