Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Concept as of late

I have been thinking about urban legends and local myths. I am very interested in how these legends help shape the social culture of a region. For example, my hometown of West Milford in NJ is very well known in the tri-state area for its rich history of urban legends. Clinton Road and its history of witchcraft, satanist and KKK meetings, and for being the place where victims of the Mob hitman "The Iceman" were ditched. I have been influenced by my fear of these places. My over active imagination has plagued me since I was young. I hope to try and exorcise this fear of empty spaces where activity once happened. I have changed my direction a bit since coming across a quote from Nabil Elderkin: "If you're only making art about your own pedestrian life, abstracted from the reality of the world today, soon you'll have a creative cesspool of meaningless work. Because it's not built on any values." I look to find value in this work through the research of community and the creation myth.

No comments:

Post a Comment