Monday, September 17, 2012


Artist Unknown.

This image requires some explanation:
On the right is the image of femininity I have been raised to portray. Calm, cool, collected, pretty. But I don't fit the photo on the right. I appropriated the warm colour cast, window lighting, and the position. However, I don't fit comfortably in this space because I am at odds with my surroundings: a feminine room with a masculine female. The model on the right is my mother, age 20. I took this not 24 hours after she, for the first time in my life, told me to change who I am and want to be for her comfort. I was told to grow my hair, wear a dress, act like a "normal" girl. I wanted to appropriate through opposition with my outfit (choosing myself as the model, essentially) and a more gendered [modern] room with "typical" female aspects (flowers, light curtains, floral print, pastel walls) instead of the neutral tans and browns on the right.

1 comment:

  1. See, this turned out great. Your explanation is perfect.

    ReplyDelete