Tuesday, November 22, 2016

46.5°N by Anastasiia Chorna












I came across Anastasiia Chorna in an article and I was very intrigued by the title. Chorna says that 46.5°N is the latitude of two cities that she has deep admiration for: Odessa, Ukraine and Lausanne, Switzerland. She set out to capture the obvious differences and similarities between the two towns. This set of work stuck out to me because I have never been to either of these places, but I am drawn to the images because of the thought and obvious passion behind the work. It reminded me, even though I often question if people will be interested in my work at all, that the viewer can be compelled by the images more the the overall idea of the work.
I think that this series is really interesting because it has a mixture of black and white photos and color. It gives the work a sense of time passing. Even though you can't tell which photo is from which town, there is a fluidity to the work. I am interested in this idea of comparing different places that you feel strongly about. I've often thought about going to Petersburg in thought of sparking connection with it's neighboring city that's my home town (Richmond).


No comments:

Post a Comment