Monday, November 28, 2016

Shirin Neshat's "Turbulent"

Shirin Neshat is an Iranian film/videomaker, who also does work with photography. Her work is known to bring together contrasting subjects, the contrast between Islam and the Western world being her most talked about one.

I've known about her for a little while now, but recently I took the time to re-watch Turbulent (1998).
It got me thinking about the concept of showcasing such duality in a work, and it especially made me think of how I could further push that concept in my own video pieces - in my case, I guess the duality of reality and abstraction. Aside from that, Turbulent is such a strong piece and so so powerful in its ways of of music and emotion to represent gender and it's complexity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2DNMG2s_O0

No comments:

Post a Comment