Monday, November 21, 2016

melissa catanese

After graduating school (which will be in a year and a half) I really thought about what I want to do. What type of work am I interested in making as of now. I have always been interged by artist books, ones like Dive Dark Dream Slow by Melissa Cantanese for instance. Melissa, like myself, is also working with a LARGE archive of photos from ebay, flea markets, etc.

I found after further looking into her work and her statement about this book (suggested to me by Shane during out one on one meeting) I wanted to make very similar work. I literally get pulled into the etherieal dream like state of the book, along with the images that, even though they are coming from a wide range of sources, seem to flow together with ease.


Her ability to have poetic phoographs is something similar to my work that I would like to drive towards in the future and want to begin the steps to get there. I really enjoy having a loosely based story line- just enough to get people on their feet, but allow for your mind to fill int he rest of the story or relationships between the images. Thinking about various themes and time frames is driving my work forward, but I would love to dive deeper into her work and what her mind is behind the making of this book- the order of the pages, why she chose the images, etc. All things I will be thinking of for my book I can hopefully begin making.

If anyone wanted to see her work there are two links below! Probably going to buy it.






http://melissacatanese.com/ddds.html

http://www.theiceplant.cc/divedark.html

No comments:

Post a Comment