Monday, November 7, 2016

Distant Feel / Joe Ely

So, on the last project, I presented a work that deals with commodity and how we are objectifying homeless people. And in the past few days, I thought about the work that i made and how to make this concept further. Then, I realized that my work ultimately deals with empathy and so, I decided to push the idea further.

So, I found this artist named Antoine Catala and in his project: Distant Feel, he deals with empathy through apathy; the artist shows image and texts that seem to provoke empathy yet, because we're looking through the screen, we can't really have intimate relationship with the subject, hence we feel apathy. I thought making viewer realize we don't care enough about what we see on the screen with the words and images that's somewhat emotional is clever way to show apathy.


go to this website and scroll down to see what this work is about.

distantfeel.com



keeping this in mind, I think now i know what to do with my work. In the last critique, although i was successful on making classmates feel bad about themselves or anxious, it needed more work to it and I didn't have solid idea of where to go next.
So, I was going to make different version of a person laying down with jean frames. I thought about having gender involved on this because people often times objectifies women or just have collection of homeless people's sign around the image like joe ely sort of did in his book project.




























But after more research and thinking more about this project, I noticed that I care about duality of people than just capitalism and money or whatnot.





No comments:

Post a Comment