Monday, November 14, 2016

Anti-Trump Protests: Are They Worth While?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2016/nov/10/donald-trump-protests-gallery

I woke up Wednesday morning of last week, as I'm sure many of you all did, in a state of semi-disbelief. Donald Trump had been elected president of the United States despite the faith that I had that we would pick the right person. I then waited for my room mate Rajib to wake up, I told him the news. He wouldn't believe me until he check the news himself. Rajib is a muslim American, he has lived his whole life in this country and is the middle son in a family that has been established here for many years. They are contributing members of society, his father a small business owner, yet when Rajib called his parents later that morning the strong sentiment he received from them was to "be careful." It was crazy for me to see that play out because it was an all to real reminder of the privilege I as a heterosexual white male experience in this country. Sure Rajib and I went to the same high school, now the same college and even live under the same roof, we live very similar lives, yet my parents didn't have to tell me to be careful. This makes my support for these anti-trump protests muddled in a severe way. I support the protestors, I easily see why people would try to at all costs prevent him from being president. Based on the rhetoric he has used and the socially insensitive goals he wishes to accomplish I understand the fear a lot of people of color, LGBTQ people and women might feel right now. However, I don't necessarily have any fear right now so the protests to an extent just feel like an immature way to relieve the anger of a lot of people. I don't quite know what change the protests can bring yet I don't want to discourage them. I have yet to attend one simply for the fact that I am anger at the lack of compassion shown around our country recently and I am afraid that anger could inspire me to do destructive things. After seeing these photographs though I do believe I will attend the next protest I can if just to take advantage of an opportunity to photograph possibly historical events. After seeing the images in this article I am reminded how important it is for us as images makers to document and make work about subjects like protests or other things people are doing in the after math of the election. It is our responsibility to listen to people and help add to the conversation. What is yalls opinion of the protesting? Do you think the protests are an appropriate reaction?

No comments:

Post a Comment