Monday, November 28, 2016

5 Photographers Examining Masculinity

http://www.hungertv.com/feature/five-photography-series-challenging-the-construct-of-masculinity/

The article I linked above describes and shows the work of 5 photographers making work on the subject of masculinity. I found this article, aside from the work itself, to be an interesting comment on masculinity(how it manifests itself and who it may effect.) Each of the photographers made work on one semi-specific group of men. Be it a certain age, sexual identity, body type or what have you. None of the photographers were necessarily making work to serve as a definition of masculinity but rather more as an examination.
                             
Image result for sophie day Fuck Boy

I thought it was interesting that 3 of the 5 photographers written about in the article are women, photo above taken by Sophie Day in a series called Fuck Boy. The work does not necessarily serve as a critique of the subject, 15 to 18 yr old boys, but rather showed aspects of adolescent boy culture that may be considered unsavory to the public. Its real in that these boys lead lives similar to many adolescent men in the United States but I think it doesn't properly show the nuances that exist in even the still developing mind of a teen male. 
        I at one want point was living similarly to how one of these teens Day photographed might be living. however, I also believe that  based on how i was raised, specifically by my fathers example, my definition of masculinity may be one that is a little different than societies as a whole. I want my work to really push that idea, I also want my work to show that although we try to define masculinity in a very clean way as a society from person to person their relationship with masculinity and how they define it will very.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment