Monday, November 7, 2016

Daniel Coburn


This past Friday I went to First Friday on Broad Street with a few friends. There, I went to the photo gallery that is next to Lift Café. The work being displayed was by photographer Daniel Coburn, specifically the collection titled The Hereditary Estate. The collection consists of a series of black and white images exhibiting metaphors describing negative events that have occurred in his family. He chose to focus on the negative family evets because those memories are the ones that most people sweep under the rug (so to speak). His end goal was to create an honest photo album of his family history, the one his mother neglected to make. I always love when photographers show the rawness of what really happens in a family because none of them are prefect. These images allow for the viewer to relate to the events of others, possibly finding some form of comfort in the imager. I know that I always feel more empathetic towards people who have been through similar family events as I have and I think that’s what draws me to this man’s work. Looking at his work also reminds me of some things I thought about after gave my presentation on Thursday. Got me wondering if I should break out some work about my shit family stories as an attempt to empathize with myself. Anyways, check this guy out his work is pretty dope! Also go see the show if you haven’t already!!!  (Quinn I think you'll be into this)  













No comments:

Post a Comment