Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Richard Wentworth's False Ceiling at the IMA


I went back to Indianapolis, Indiana for Thanksgiving break and visited one of my favorite places, which also happens to be my workplace, the Indianapolis Museum of Art.  Every year the IMA invites an artist to create a piece in the main atrium/lobby area for guests to view as they enter the museum.  This time last year Richard Wentworth, a British artist, installed a ceiling of books, which he entitled False Ceiling, in the lobby. This time last year, I was able to attend the artist talk and hear him speak about his work.  He was a very charismatic man and cracked a lot of jokes.  Wentworth spoke intelligently about his work but kept the audience on their toes with his wit.  


When I went back to the museum this past weekend the ceiling of books had been removed and the next installation is in the works.  Thinking back to his artist talk made me think a lot about how I can improve the way I speak about my own work as an artist and a person.  

2 comments: