Monday, November 28, 2016

Letha Wilson






A while back I got an e-mail from Shane that just read "Also, Letha Wilson" and a link to her website. She utilizes different mediums and interacts with the space in a way that I would really like to explore in future work. Much of her work is a conversation between the natural and architectural world, photograph and scultpure, a new take on the "landscape photograph" - and her installations always feeling a bit intrepid.
Wilson was featured among many other artists I admire/am inspired by in What is a Photograph? curated by Carol Squiers - including Mariah Robertson, Alison Rossiter, Marco Breuer, Matthew Brandt, etc. These artists all push the notion of what photography can be, making photographs into objects, taking up space - experimenting and reimagining. Wilson, among these others, inspire me to continue researching and learning new ideas and techniques. Photography in it's many forms can be an adventure - a journey into memory, an exploration of new worlds -  and that is how I hope to continue my work as well.

3 comments:

  1. YYYEEESSSS!!! I think your work would look really good taking up physical space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree I think your work would be very interesting in a physical form such as this. There is a VCU professor last year who did something really similar. She made close up images of rockfaces/natural elements like rocks and mounted them on sheet metal then formed them to resemble the shape of rocks or the actual thing the image was of. it created, for me at least, an interesting comparison of the organic world and the digital/manufactured world. And because the pieces actually inhabited a physical space the viewer had the ability to engage them on a different level. I think your images easily have the ability to do the same thing. I cant remember the professors name right now. I'll give it to you in class.

    ReplyDelete