Monday, November 14, 2016

Albert Camus: Existential Absurdity


In keeping up with the theme of the surreal, and existential questioning in my project, I decided to do my artist blog on a writer that I have been researching a lot recently. I have been looking a lot into the works of Albert Camus. For those who don’t know, he is a French writer, and the work that I have been specifically pulling from is his novel ‘The Stranger.’

            In this book he touches on ideas of existentialism and philosophy through that of an oddly absurd and dry story. One of the things that is most striking to me about the novel is Camus’ ability to keep such an odd and ridiculous story so dry. I think the fact that it is dry, is what makes it powerful though. The ability to take the emotion out of the absurdity, so that the only thing left to talk about is why these absurd things are happening is something that I think I want to pursue. My goal is to have the absurd moments and people be symbols for things that I want to have a conversation with the audience about. I think by having the film be so boring (for lack of a better word) it will lead the audience to think more about why these things are happening and decipher them.
            It is hard to say exactly what makes the novel so dry, and I think it will be what is going to be so difficult for me to tackle. From what I can gather, the matter of fact nature of the way things are described is what takes all of the emotion out of it. Events are described as being just that, events and nothing else. The problem is translating this to the screen. With a novel it is much easier to describe events than a film. One of the most important things that I will have to look into is research on camera angles and lighting that take the emotion out of a film. Probably a lot of straight on shots with even lighting and few shadows. Along with very close to emotionless actors.

No comments:

Post a Comment