Monday, November 21, 2016

Polaroid Negative Reclaim Project

Sam Hughes worked as a photojournalist until 2010 when he went back to school for his MF, and now teaches photography and graphic design. He's currently working on this project called the Polaroid Negative Reclaim Project
He's using images he takes around the Costal Virginia area with a polaroid land camera, bleaching the negative and printing the image on metallic chromogenic paper. He titles the photograph with the Latitude and Longitude of where hew as when the photograph was taken, and he is hoping to create an app that can be downloaded so anyone can access the exact location of where the photograph was taken.  


The images in my opinion are just typical polaroid photograph subject matter, with the crazy chemical errors creating a pretty interesting border. What I think is really cool (and quite honestly I think could be used to get people to explore more interesting things than Coastal Virginia) is incorporating the exact location down to the latitude and longitude and making it accessible to the viewer.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy the polaroid aesthetic and its coupling with the images of the trees. It gives a creepy vibe. It takes me to scenes of war in jungles such as battles that may have been fought in the Vietnam War. The graininess takes me to a certain time and the quality of light is similar to that of certain movies and television programing that has a specific type of content. I kind of get the vibe of a secen that could be in some sort of snuff film. I also enjoy the borders the chemical errors create. When ever I see something like that occur in film photography it causes me to want to see it repeated in a more intentional way.

    ReplyDelete