Sunday, November 13, 2016

Nancy Borowick

Every family has their own struggles. This is something that I have touched on before in my research. The rawness of negative family events fascinate me far more than the positive ones because the positive ones are what we idolize most while the negative ones often get lost in translation. I suspect that this is because of the pain these memories bring about in a person but really, I think that is what makes these memories so beautiful. To me, its not the good memories that change and influence a person, impacting their lives, its the bad ones. In Nancy Borowick's family's case, this would be her parents struggle with cancer. Themes that arise in her work are loss, connection, and humility, connecting to the people around her as well as her loved ones in a very empathetic and raw way. In her photo series titled Cancer Family, she documents the loss of her parents through black and white photography, sectioning each major event into chapters. The chapters consist of:

  • Part 1: Together
    • While they are both alive dealing with cancer.
  • Part 2: Without Him
    • Her father passing.
  • Part 3: Losing Her
    • Her mother passing.
Personally, I have never experienced loss of a loved one from a disease, let alone both of my parents at the same time. I don't even know what I would do in this scenario, making me feel very empathetic towards her. This is why her work interest me. It is giving the views a raw look at what it is like to loos someone through cancer, almost like were living bi-curiously through her experience presented in her images. Check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment