Monday, November 14, 2016

creating scultures with photographs

At the beginning of the semester we wrote down hat we loved and cared about. One of the things I wrote is "capturing others in the form of  photograph". I'm still trying to understand exactly what that means to me, but I think I love telling the story of a person. My favorite photographs are those that o so much deeper than how the person physically look in the photograph. 

I'm Currently doing research about the human form and what exactly it means to me and I found these amazing long exposures of dancers called "nude" by shinichi maruyama. Almost resembling silk sculpture like forms captured by10,000 photographs in one. I am realizing that I am mostly gravitating towards human forms and the moment that we have that is unlike anything else on earth. 

In this specific artwork below I love the way Shinichi treats the human form like an abstract shape. These forms almost become one long brush stroke upon further viewing. I love the transformation of of these dancing forms. I am wondering how I can use similar mediums to transform the body as well. 

http://www.shinichimaruyama.com/








I thought the artist statement was important when tlaking about this work

"I tried to capture the beauty of both the human body’s figure and its motion.
The figure in the image, which is formed into something similar to a sculpture, is created by combining 10,000 individual photographs of a dancer. 
By putting together uninterrupted individual moments, the resulting image as a whole will appear to be something different from what actually exists.
With regard to these two viewpoints, a connection can be made to a human being’s perception of presence in life."

No comments:

Post a Comment