Tuesday, November 8, 2016

The Institute for Contemporary Art at VCU



I keep driving past the up and coming Institute for Contemporary Art being built on the corner of Broad and Boulevard and my excitement for it's opening and curiosity about future exhibits and programs continues to grow.  I was especially curious about it's opening date and what kind of programs it's planning on offering VCUarts students, so I decided to do some more research on it.  


Online, all I could come up with was an "expected 2017 oplans of the architecture.

"Innovative.
Ever-changing.
Always challenging."
The ICA will house contemporary exhibits on a non-collecting basis.  It's goal is to become a contemporary art hub for Richmond, for the U.S. and potentially more.  Online, all I could come up with was an "expected 2017 opening"; there was a delay in the initial start of construction due to changes in the plans of the architecture.  Apparently, "Forbes magazine recently listed Richmond, VA as one of the top 10 up-and-coming cities in the world for entrepreneurial startups, calling it “a hotbed of activity."  I think that it is a really interesting time to be living here in Richmond, to be able to experience all of this change and expansion.  I'll be interested in coming back some 10 or so years after graduation to see where the city is.  

The website includes a live feed to watch the progress of the construction:

(a still of the live feed)

Fun Fact: I work at the Indianapolis Museum of Art when I'm home for breaks, and one of the curators, Lisa Freiman, that worked there for 11 years moved to Richmond to be the director for the ICA when I was applying to colleges and ultimately led me to discovering VCU and the arts program.

1 comment:

  1. This post was very educational! Ive always wanted to know more about that building. This is very exciting to read, it makes me want to make an effort to stay here after college and really try and find work here. I do believe that Richmond is a city on the rise. Considering the history of the former capital of the confederacy, I see this City moving in amore progressive direction. Along I think that Richmond's art scene and VCU are making Richmond an attractive destination for many interesting and innovative people.

    ReplyDelete