Sunday, August 24, 2014

Anne Forrester-Weekly Artist Post-Cory Arcangel

Working on My Novel is a computer based project by artist and researcher Cory Arcangel. The project began as a program that collected other tweets with the phrase "working on my novel" and then republished them from a twitter account of the same name. The tweets were then compiled and published in a novel themselves.

twitter account: https://twitter.com/WrknOnMyNovel

I find that this work is not necessarily critical or offensive to the original "tweeters" themselves, but rather is a commentary on disconnecting qualities of social media. I am particularly interested in the methods in which the tweets were collected. From what I can gather Arcangel writes a program that searches for and saves these tweets, but the details of that allude me. Arcangel's use of already existing material or repurposed material to then use to make a connection to the viewer is particularly intriguing to me. His work touches on boundaries between private and public domain especially within the internet and computer age we live in. I am especially drawn to the sort of tongue-in-cheek and or satirical approach to his work.

artist website:
http://www.coryarcangel.com/

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I love the design of this book. No real emphasis on the fact that these were taken from twitter, but our generation recognizes the layout from that particular social media. Really interested in his idea of publishing semi-private posts. Reinforces that whatever we put on the web anyone can see and anything can be done with it.

    ReplyDelete