Sunday, August 24, 2014

Hannah Nees - Weekly Artist Post - Evgeny Mokhorev




Evgeny Mokhorev is a Russian photographer born in 1967. As one of the first photographers to show a new look into the troubled world of children, his work has been heavily criticized on the exploitative nature in which they were shown. Some of the other themes that Mokhorev explores is the idea of lost childhood, revelations as adolescents, and transformations into adulthood. He is currently living and working in St. Petersburg.

One of the reasons that I enjoy his work so much is the way that he seems to manipulate the human body. I've seen a lot of fellow student artists give it a go at photographing bodies in a way that seems manipulative, though I have not seen many succeed. I feel that, along with Robert Mapplethorpe, artists that are inspired by such photography should study the way that the models are framed in the photo. Though Mokhorev's work isn't along the lines of what I do with my work, I am interested in the way that he seems to perfect the black and white photo.

(Couldn't find any website other than this Russian one...)

2 comments:

  1. Their expressions are what keep me interested in the image. Kind of lifeless. Especially the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way that the negative space interacts with the subjects helps to create Ean interesting narrative

    ReplyDelete