Thursday, August 28, 2014

Lexi Wilson-- sentences on conceptual art

24. Perception is subjective

The way we perceive the world instinctively is most of the time based off of our own bias. Sontag says, "In deciding how a picture should look, in preferring one exposure to another, photographers are always imposing standards on their subjects." When I am working on a project with a particular concept behind it, I sometimes feel that I'm forcing that concept upon a scene where that concept doesn't actually exist, that I am perceiving a situation in a way that I want to see it instead of the reality of it. I'm starting to realize that this may be an automatic setting for myself, and I think this hinders me from seeing different perspectives or avenues to pursue in picture taking. Like we talked about in class, I think there is a certain obligation as a photographer to open our mind and try to recognize the different perspectives. To interrogate a situation from all sides, instead of just seeing it for what we want it to be. To perceive in a less subjective way.

1 comment:

  1. It's impossible to not approach something subjectively. Unless you're talking about math, which is probably one of the few objective things in the universe according to some people. Regardless, I understand what you mean by trying to understand something (your art) from perspectives outside of the one you started the work with. I think that the actual art objects hold a lot of power, meaning that it can be okay for something to be created and not fully understood yet, or to go beyond what we expected of it. However this is still a subjective experience, and always will be.

    In general I think you articulate your thoughts really well, so I hope you keep posting on a variety of subjects. Your input always makes me think about these talks in class, which I'm thankful for.

    ReplyDelete