Sunday, August 31, 2014

James Quinlan - Weakly Art-is Pose't

http://www.renealmanza.net/framesalmanza.html

Rene Almanza

I really don't know a lot about this guy, other than the fact that he makes some wild gestural stuff. I don't know if he has updated his website in the last year, but I think that his pen (pencil?) contours are the best. I'm not really knowledgeable of any of the conversations currently happening in painting, so I have to approach this work purely as an outsider, meaning that everything I can garner from these drawings/paintings is solely personal and probably very uninformed, which can be fun sometimes. Honestly, I just appreciate the forms he creates. I appreciate the scenes he creates with these seemingly simple gestures, and how he generally works black on white, like some Franz Kline who demanded way more sexuality from the lines he was making.

Actually, I'm starting to think I don't really like the work. I dunno, maybe I just appreciate the pictures that are being presented for their face value, and I don't really want to get more into any of it. Who knows?????????????????????????????????




1 comment:

  1. Woah! The way he does faces! It's crazy how much energy he shows through facial detail. I'm a big fan of gestural/contour drawings.

    ReplyDelete