Sunday, August 24, 2014

Natalie Kohlhepp - Weekly Artist Post

Hannah Hoch ~The Original Collage Queen

Hoch was one of the only female artists to stand out during the Dada movement, her popularity peaking before the rise of the Third Reich. Her photomontage was radical, the lives and sexual expectations of women at the forefront of her subject matter. Her fellow male dadaist peers tried to edge her out. But her work is honest. Her most simple collages resonate with me most. The more complicated and cluttered, the more detached from it I feel. Her work was smart, and she used popular culture and turned it into a witty critique of the media and racism and sexism surrounding her. There's something very compelling about works that speak so loudly while being so simple.

It's very similar to some of the punk show fliers you can find around Richmond, and what my friends in the scene are putting in their tape inserts. Collage and mixed media feels like such an "outsider artist" medium and is something I see myself stepping back into.




2 comments:

  1. Yessssss! I love that you posted this artist because it means you're still researching and hopefully experimenting with collaging. Definitely something you were nailing at the end of last year. It's definitely an interesting medium but I think if explored to the fullest, you can come out with something amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me so much of the collage project we did in Brittany's! I feel like this is so different from a lot of the work I've seen from the dada movement.. Like you said, so strong in its simplicity.

    ReplyDelete