Sunday, August 31, 2014

Natalie Kohlhepp - Weekly Artist Post

Harry Gould Harvey IV

http://harrygouldharveyiv.com/

Harvey currently lives in Rhode Island/ works in NYC.
In an interview with VICE Magazine Harvey explains how the first time he took a photo with artistic intent, he realized how much louder simple photographs can speak. He decided to work in series and within the mindset that each photograph should be as strong as it possibly can. I work very similarly. I  prefer shooting simple, stripped down scenes and find that a series with less can be far more accessible. Harvey's series One I definitely found myself connecting with a lot more. That series explores a complicated music subculture in a way that feels very earnest to me. One doesn't hype up or make the scene seem desirable nor does it feel like an outsider's harsh critique. One feels like a series of photographs from someone on the inside.





1 comment:

  1. I also am super inspired by his underexposures. Those last two photos are really stunning to me.

    ReplyDelete