Sunday, August 24, 2014

Taylor Stevenson- Response to David Foster Wallace Speech

Last year when I heard this speech it particularly stuck to me, it changed the way I thought about others and how I handled situations in my day to day life. Honestly I never stopped to think maybe this customer who is arguing over a $2 dollar price difference just was evicted from her apartment and needs to buy her child new shoes. In a world where we constantly think about ourselves others issues seem non-existent.


Wallace stated, “The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.” What I take from this quote is the ability to truly put yourself second to what is around you and this allows you to be free to think in multiple ways and takes you out of the “default setting” in which we mainly stay. This is very important in photography, amongst other things, because as a photographer you have the ability to either obscure or bring attention to an issue and it is somewhat selfish for us to not share.

No comments:

Post a Comment