Sunday, August 24, 2014

Leb Wynn - Response to Speech

Similar to everyone's responses, I too found myself wondering after class (instead on a search for textbooks) and immediately went into default. It then hit me that I felt like everyone was in my way. I was too tired. I'm too hot, etc. In hindsight, I certainly don't want to be that person.

As I sit here and dwell on the speech, I think to myself that it's nothing but the truth. It's definitely reminiscent of my parents and friends that I've come to know personally. I conclude, how amazingly selfish we are as people to remain in this default setting (this including myself as of late). The financial meaning of default is the failure to fulfill and obligation, but that's why it's this default setting we go back to; we didn't want to be consciously present in our world. I don't think we need to make far-fetched excuses as to why X person cut me off or why X person bumped into me at the supermarket but instead brush the situations off and move on. Foster mentions at the very end that it's very hard to stay conscious and alive in the adult world, and although I do agree with him, we should try.

No comments:

Post a Comment