Friday, August 22, 2014

Lexi Wilson- Weekly artist post



Julie blackmon’s work caught my attention because of it’s vivid colors. The absolute sharpness and great depth of field in her images gives her work a somewhat surreal quality. Each image she takes contains so much information, as she takes full advantage of props and her subjects surroundings. The way she frames her images are particularly interesting. Many of her pictures are cropped, including only hints of what is outside the frame.  Because of these techniques, my eye is continually moving around her images, discovering something new in them almost every time I look at them. The playful and domestic content draws me in, as it feels somehwat familiar.




2 comments:

  1. I've never seen her work before, but each photograph looks like a collage from different magazine clippings. The last aerial shot of the pool reminds me of Gursky's "Swimming Pool" with similar colors/lighting.

    http://urbanpeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Andreas-Gursky-25-e1337027244994.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. These colors look unreal. What a wise sense of composition, especially in that one with the stop sign. Damn. I can somehow manage to believe the artist placing everything in these shots so particular and precise.

    ReplyDelete