Sunday, August 24, 2014

Teddy Leinbach-Response to DFW Speech

I thoroughly enjoyed the speech by David F Wallace.  The whole time I was thinking about the speeches that I had to sit through when I graduated high school and how boring and cliche they were and how I would have loved to hear a speech like this.   I appreciated his view on learning and his thoughts about learning to make decisions on how we think.  I enjoyed hearing his thoughts on how every individual is the center of their own universe.  It is an intriguing idea that i have heard before.  The points he made about that self-centered state of mind being our resting point our ideas that I haunt heard before.  It is an interesting concept that makes a lot of sense.  I will say though that there is a different view on that issue that I think makes more sense.  Instead of trying to work away from that "natural" state of mind, humans should embrace it.  If we all accepted the fact that we are all the center of our own universe, i think that there is a lot of things to benefit from that mindset.  If one starts to truly consider oneself the center of the everything, that person and only that person is responsible for everything that happens.  Therefore, everyone will want to live in a more perfect world, causing people to help others who are less fortunate, clean up the world around them, and be happy with themselves.  Bringing this philosophy back to his example about the frustrated man stuck in traffic after a long day of work who has to go to the supermarket, if that person truly considers themselves the center of the universe, and therefore the only one who is responsible for the world around him, he will stop getting frustrated at the woman yelling at her kids in line at the store, but instead, ask himself what he can do to help her out.      

No comments:

Post a Comment