Sunday, August 31, 2014

James Quinlan - Sentences on Conceptual Art

I'm glad I read these sentences. Really. I feel like it helped to justify my continuing confusion I face while making art. I'm constantly full of questions about the things I create, but not in a frustrating way, simply in an "I have no idea what I'm doing but I like it" kind of way. I feel like these sentences, at least some of them, have helped to make sense of that feeling, to... well justify it, like I said before. I'm glad that I can create lots of work I don't fully understand yet and still know that the work has merit, even if just to me for reasons I cannot fully grasp quite yet.

That being said, I don't think art making is even remotely a spiritual experience. I don't believe there is anything special to art making. I think it is a process like any other process.

For now that is all I have to say on this, but I'm going to dwell on it for awhile longer and hopefully update this post.

1 comment:

  1. That's really interesting to me because I think of creating art as far less internal process and more of a spiritual pull to meet an idea outside of myself, like using whatever I have to offer artistically and slamming it against outside ideas. If that makes any sense at all? Probably not. I see it as something that is far more ritualistic than process.

    ReplyDelete