Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Artist Block

http://www.artistsnetwork.com/articles/inspiration-creativity/art-therapy-how-to-overcome-artists-block

As I'm sure as the class could tell based on my last assignment that I'm struggling to be inspired to go out and actually make work. To those of you who have had classes with me over these last couple years might even say that this has been an issue in my work for a while. I would agree, I have never really felt comfortable in this department or the art school in general. Not because of the teachers or you guys my peers but mostly because of a lack of confidence in my ability. I really never thought I deserved to be in this program. I know thats silly because we all demonstrated some amount of solid skills in order to even be accepted in to an art school as good as VCU. But the way I got into the photography department after AFO was fairly unorthodox. I wasn't accepted in to any department at first, though photography was my first choice. I was accepted in part because of summer classes I took to improve grades but mostly because my counselor vouched heavy for me. So because of that I never really felt like I was truly good enough to be in this department. This caused me to not want to go out and put in maximum effort on assignments. I figured that my work, even if I dedicated all the effort I could, would never stack up to what my peers produced. SoI handicapped myself by always wanting to the last minute, and when the inevitable poor feedback comes I can say to myself "Well I know I didn't try hard enough so this work doesn't actually reflect my skill." I've been trying to trick myself for the last three years. I only bring this up now because this semester I have made the conscious decision that I no longer want to just skid by, but rather that I actually want to become the best artist I can. I want to stop comparing myself to you guys, which I know no one has told me to do, and just make work for the sake of being a better artist. All of that being said as of RIGHT NOW I have changed very little in being able to create the work. My mindset has changed but the action hasn't changed yet. So I decided to do some research on ways to get out of a period in which you feel less creative. Cause at this point I do believe that I have the ability to make good images I just don't know what to make them of. This article describes many helpful ways to get out of funks like this. I also really did listen to what Shane said about just going out and taking pictures, not necessarily having a concept or idea but just photographing for the sake of making pictures. I haven't honestly done this since high school. and with the 4 day weekend we have I plan on going out multiple times in my home town and walk around and take some pictures. Sorry for the long winded back story. But considering that I'm sure we've all been where I am or might be in the future I figured this article could be useful. I also wanted to know how you all have dealt with creative blocks in the past?

No comments:

Post a Comment