Sunday, October 16, 2016

Time based Media

With ever changing technology, I have begun thinking about what that can mean for my current and future work. 

I wonder if time can create a distance from the viewer who is familiar with the technology associated with the medium, causing it to possibly mean something different than the artist intended. Although the word time can be loosely based, and can mean anywhere from 5 minutes to hundreds or even thousands of years, I think time gab is something to consider when making art. Although I don't base my project off of time, it is an unintended happenstance that I can't ignore. Most of my slides are based from the 60's or 70's, some being older or some being newer. I can't help but wonder what exactly a camera was to them. In 2016 camera's are a commonality, but I don't think that's how I used to be. I can remember as a child looking at a camera as a thing that documented either my age, something I was accomplishing, or a place out of the ordinary that my family wanted to document. Their are tons of other reasons, but now it can be something as small as you like the way your hair looks, or you're taking a blink of an eye photo that you may never even view again.

Thinking about humans relationships with the camera over the time span I am working with has been slightly touched on in my research, but now I am thinking about using this old thing, making it new, and watching my art grow old, and the photos grow OLDER. what will this speak about when not only is it touching on what mediums I was working with that already carried context and meaning, but when it is touching on the "2016 mediums" and associations that will eventually carry over to the future. 

I found a really interesting article on time based media that I felt related to my most recient work on color slide film from the 50's-90's. Less based on  

https://www.guggenheim.org/blogs/checklist/what-is-time-based-media-a-q-and-a-with-guggenheim-conservator-joanna-phillips



Condition assessment of videotapes: color bars provide an important reference for the color and brightness levels of an artwork. Photo: Jeffrey Warda

"Time-based media works are unstable by nature: their technological constituents become obsolete, they frequently require adaptation to changing installation environments, and every reinstallation introduces some extent of interpretation. In order to sustain these works in a collection context—and to ensure that their integrity is preserved over time—conservators must monitor and manage the changes these works undergo through every step of their lifecycle."

No comments:

Post a Comment