Monday, October 24, 2016

Julia Steinigeweg and GUP

While I was waiting for my friend to finish getting a haircut I went into the book store to kill some time. I'm happy I did because I found GUP magazine. This magazine is basically a $20 artist book featuring a bunch of European photographers that I would never have found if it wasn't for the book. Basically it is a magazine that has four issues a year. It's a great resource for finding new artist and its so cheap that its totally a thing that people could start collecting. Ya'll should check it out because the current issue gave me a lot of things to start thinking about in my work. 

But anyways, one of the artists that stuck out to me in the issue that I purchased is named Julia Steinigeweg. All her work is dope but my favorite series by her is titled A Confusing Potential. This series consists of portraits of people with life like dolls, or simply just portraits humanizing the dolls. This series is questioning whether or not love has to be felt with another human or if it could be felt alone and individually. Personally I think it can be felt in both ways. However, I think she is trying to talk about how people can use objects to fill voids that another person has left in their life. I like this a lot because it is something that I personally think about a lot and would like to apply in a different way to my own practice. We're never along guys. Theres always someone looking out for you whether you know it or not. Almost like a coping mechanism. Its funny, at first glance I couldn't even tell that some of the dolls weren't real. Its cool stuff check it out! 








1 comment:

  1. Hey Christina, I just read your comment and I feel really honored about your nice words. You recognized a point, which was important for me and I like how you think about the situation the partners of dolls have to "deal with". I don't know how to say it better in english;)

    ReplyDelete