Tuesday, October 25, 2016

VR is the Future! For now...

I was interested in how virtual reality and augmented reality will effect art. I was surprised I haven't heard of any striking uses of VR in art since it has started catching on more this year. However, as soon as I did the slightest amount of digging I discovered it is indeed catching on. Among various artists Jon Raffman has taken the plunge into using VR in his art. I normally would view VR as a passing fad, much like it was in shopping malls in the 90's, but after using the new Vive I was convinced this was going to be big. It was more a feeling I got when I first used it. It reminded me of the first time a movie used CGI or the first time I played a Nintendo. It's a completely different experience than any other medium. And I think in a few years time it will be one of the biggest focuses in the art world. First off, you can apply literally any type of media into it. You could make a painting that you actually exist in, if you want. You could make a movie where you are the main character. It could be completely experiencial or representational. You could put together an art gallery in the virtual world if you wanted. The most exciting part of this new technology is that people haven't quite figured out how to utilize it yet. There are levels and levels of how an artist could use this technology, as well as virtually anyone with any job could as well. Even if the technology changes over the course of our lifetime, the process of us figuring out how to use it and grow it belongs to us. When the first films were first invented it created huge competition throughout the world. And some thought it was irritating non-sense, but many were amazed and amused. It gave countries distinct styles and artistic representation in the world. This effect will most likely be much faster in our modern world with the use of other technology like the Internet and easily accessible cameras.

My fear though is that people are either too jaded, or too caught up in the inconvenience of wearing a headset to let it succeed. I don't believe you can just eliminate the concept of VR, but I do think it could go back into hibernation for quite a while if it isn't embraced. How we engage this technology also decides how it's used. I wonder if painting or photographs had similar struggles in rising into popularity. It feels like there is always resistance to new mediums and styles. But at some point the popularity is unstoppable and becomes a fixture in our world. And although right now VR is more commonly being used for video games (which is awesome, don't get me wrong) I hope VR doesn't get pigeonholed into being only about that. I hope more fine artists explore this medium because all too often the space between digital and traditional art forms is too large. Like, if you use new techniques like technology along with traditional skills like drawing or painting it's somehow not "fine" art anymore. It's the artists who are bridging these gaps and heading out into unknown artistic territory who are ahead of the game. They are going where few have been before and essentially have a new artistic land to conquer and make a name in. If anyone finds any particular work dealing with VR or splicing traditional art with new technology I'd be very interested.

Here's a link to Raffman's VR infused exhibit, which is like a huge playground. Looks pretty cool, I like especially how he intermingles the digital and physical spaces to come together to make one cohesive piece of art.
https://m.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-jon-rafman-s-participatory-playground-hits-harder-than

No comments:

Post a Comment