Monday, October 24, 2016

Berlin Portraiture










  I recently came across an article in Trip Magazine about James Perolls' portraits taken around the city of Berlin. He does a lot of really great soft focus work--a lot of portraits. Not all of these are striking portraits, however some of them really do connect through the lens to touch the viewer. I think that achieving that level of engagement with the audience would be my goal in portraiture.

    I never thought I would be a photographer that would want to take tons of portraits. However, recently I have been interested in conquering my fear of talking to strangers and want to go out with a purpose of talking to people in order to make a good picture. I realize that a lot of the time I think that it is too awkward or just not the right time to whip out my camera in the middle of a conversation. I think that there's definitely a way to do it without being that awkward. I have an idea evolving in my head about making a little mini handmade book on people that I meet on the street in Richmond. It would be such a huge step for me in overcoming my fear and I could probably make some really cool work with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment