Monday, October 10, 2016

In the shadows: Indonesia








Photographer Hanah Young visits Lombok, Indonesia to get a close look at a culture which isn't polluted with tourism. This post stuck out to me because recently I have been interested in engaging with strangers more. Over the weekend I took part in a course in Orlando about being present and deliberate. During this course I had some realizations about who I am and why I am. I discovered that I have had anxiety about talking to strangers for a very long time. The only way to get over this fear is to engage with it. I want to connect with others with photography. I have recently begun a project starting with talking to my friends and gradually talking to friends of friends. Connecting with a stranger is never what you expect--and I think that's what's so exciting and scary about it. I envy a lot of photographers who get to travel the world and take photos, but I never really gave much thought into how much interaction in a foreign country must go on. Most of the time I am blinded by the beautiful pictures of foreigners that I forget the interaction that must take place...even if there are no words spoken. I would really love to go to a foreign city or town and do something like this. I think some amazing things could definitely happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment