Thursday, October 13, 2016

Laura Stevens

Continuing my search on empathy, I found Laura Stevens. Laura is a digital photographer currently working in Paris. Her work consists of both editorial high fashion photography as well as more conceptual images focusing on people. After looking through all her work, the series that stuck out to me the most is her series titled Us Alone. This series consists of images of couples. When I was looking through these images, at first glance I thought it was about the connection between two people in a partnership. However, when looking closer I realized that I was dumb and this collection is not about that at all. It is about the loss of connection in a relationship which, in a way is the most fascinating part of human relationships in my own opinion. As we figured out in class when trying to decide what we care about, the majority of us chose connection because lets be real, we all just want to be loved. Sadly, the connections we make with people, most of the time, don't last forever (both romantic and not). Thus resulting in a crap feeling in our tummies. But anyways, bringing this back to Laura's work, I think her images give us a window into that feeling. The collection Us Alone has a sort of tension to it due to the expressions on the individuals faces. One seems peaceful and the other looks upset or confused. This makes me feel pretty sad actually when relating it to my own personal experiences while also giving me a sense of comfort. The comfort comes from seeing that these crap scenarios happen to everyone. We're all just people going through a lot of the same things, just wanting to be loved. Aside from the meaning behind her work, her lighting is so awesome and I really suggest everyone look at all her work. They might cause some inspiration for some stuff to create in the lighting studio! I know they did that for me.    















No comments:

Post a Comment