Monday, October 31, 2016

transforming a space?


Ann Hamilton.

After Caroline introduced me to the artists Ann Hamiltons other work, I began looking at her work- specifically her installations. She is known for her "sensory surrounds of her large-scale multi-media installations."


indigo blue | 1991 / 2007




tropos | 1993-1994


the picture is still | 2001-2002


I'm sure a lot fo you know her for her work the event of a thread 2012-2013. I enjoyed hearing her talk about her installation of the event of the threat and everyone's interaction playing a part in the movement really pulled me in.  I also love hearing everyone's interaction with the piece being different, even some laying on the ground for hours (which she wasn't aware of) I'm unsure of what all of this means so far, but I do gravitate towards her large installations and I'm interested in pursuing large installations in the future

In her conversation she talks about her conversation between the piece and the viewers different experiences; "your trying to give or make the type of experience, but not determine what that is" . I felt that during my critique with the website that was happening. I had an unexpected experience of everyone diving into their phones and sitting down. I honestly expected to be critiqued on the website so while working so hard doing that I completely missed one of the most important parts. I ended up being most interested in the experiential aspect of my project more than anything else. I have been very interested in using fabric since I came to VCU and would love to try to see how I can create a new experience for the viewer. Something I will begin experimenting with and actively creating in future projects at VCU. 

No comments:

Post a Comment