Monday, October 31, 2016

Nan Goldin

Im seriously trying to figure out how to show empathy through photography. It seems so simple but for whatever reason I have no idea how to do it. Based on my critique I think that candid photography might be my best option. I found an artist named Nan Goldin who does just that. However, she focuses on herself and people close to her and I want to stray away from that. It just seems narcissistic to me personally. Her images consist of images of herself and the people around her (mostly in the gay community) experiencing venerable and personal moments that go overlooked. The moments that go overlooked concept interests me a lot and I find that to be very beautiful however I don't know if thats what I am trying to convey with my own work. She does look at who people really are though without judgement. This could be because she knows most of the people but then one could argue that she isn't really pushing her work in a super strong direction. Im not sure. I'm feeling really lost right now and would love it if you guys could suggest some work for me to look at. SOS guys. But anyways here is some of her work for you guys to look at. I find them very beautiful personally.





1 comment:

  1. http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/VOLUME13/The_Cruel_Radiance.shtml

    Maybe look at photojournalism?

    ReplyDelete